Sunday, August 28, 2011

I am going to keep tonight's entry short and sweet. To be truthful, I was planning on giving y'all a day's reprieve since my last post was so verbose, but two very important events occurred today that I cannot refrain from discussing. 


Important Event #1
Where: Palm Fitness (women's locker room "water closet" to be specific) 
When: Approximately 11.00 
What: Me, locked in aforementioned water closet 
Why: I wish I knew 


In short, I pounded on the door screaming "HELP!" at the top of my lungs whilst simultaneously calling my mom (Yes, I am aware that it was 4am in Texas, but one does not always see these things clearly while trapped inside a 2' X 2' un-air-conditioned box). Finally, I received feedback from the other side and after somewhere in the neighborhood of three hours (Real time: 4.5 minutes), the very attractive personal trainer working at the front desk used his brute Scandinavian strength to save me from my impending doom (Side note: When leaving the gym, I happened to trip on the stairs in front of said trainer, barely managing to avoid hitting the ground. Smooth as silk). 


Important Event #2 
Where: Studenterhuset (an international students coffee house/bar/concert venue)
When: Approximately 13.00 (In case I was ever under the impression that I was really good at simple addition and subtraction, using military time has definitely helped eliminate any such notions)
What: I BOUGHT A BIKE!!!
Why: Basically everyone in Copenhagen rides bikes and the city is actually considered to be world leading bicycle city as well as an extremely environmentally-minded one.  


My bike is small, purple, and as of now, we will call her Violet (get it? Purple, violet ...). I love it so much. After purchasing our bikes, Devon and I got home from the city in less than half the time that it normally takes my little legs to trek from DIS/downtown area to Nørrebro. Tomorrow, I am going to buy a basket for Violet as well as a helmet (Unfortunately, my cycling skills are not on par with those of the Danes and accident prevention is key. Also, I want to stick out as much as possible among the other chic and graceful riders by adding a large piece of plastic headwear that will help accentuate my American-ness). But I am SO excited to explore the city now and will definitely be posting pictures as Violet and I take Copenhagen by storm. 


Farvel!


ord af dagen: "hjælp" = "help" (as in "Hjælp! I'M LOCKED IN A BATHROOM!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment