Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hola amigos. I know y'all have probably gone into a permanent state of depression waiting to hear from me again and for that I offer you my sincerest apologies. I also want to apologize for the fact that this entry is going to be (unbearably) long. If I have time, I will add a Spark Notes version later this evening. 


On Thursday, we started class, which was sort of strange and surreal seeing as I have not been in school for approximately four months. However, the day was a huge success and I really do think all of my classes are going to be extremely interesting. I am taking the following: 


Current Trends in Mass Media
Virtual Worlds and Social Media
Creative Industries
Women, Art, and Identity
Auschwitz: From Genocide to Memorial 


Thus far I predict that Creative Industries is going to be my favorite, in large part because we watched the following video clips: 


Eurovision 2011, Norway
Eurovision 1979, Israel
"Heartbeats" Remix by the Knife


I hate to add on to the amount of time it will take you to conquer this post, but I promise you, these videos are definitely worth your while. Now I know what you are thinking ... "Why in the world would one watch a Eurivision clip in a college course?" Allow me to explain. Creative Industries is a business course that examines industries that are, well ... creative (as you may well have guessed). We are going to look at the entertainment industry, media industry, music industry, video game industry, software industry, art industry, TV, etc. etc. I won't bore you with the details of all my other courses, but if you are curious about the inner-workings of my academic career, I would be more than happy to provide you with more information. 


On Thursday night, after I whipped up a delicious batch of chicken stirfry (Yes, the chicken did eventually defrost), Amanda and I decided to go on a walk around our neighborhood. We stumbled upon a beautiful old church, several "hoppin'" bars, some organic restaurants (heck yes), and cute coffee shops.  [See images below].









On Fridays, I don't have class so I decided to go explore some more. My friend Megan and I had lunch at a sandwich spot called "The Big Apple" (Is that the nickname for Copenhagen?) and then I went on search for my personal sanctuary. No, not the Synagogue of Copenhagen, although I did spot that on my map (Side note: Amelia and I are going to a four course Shabbat dinner in a couple of weeks so as both maintain our religious identities whilst in a foreign country and to make up for the fact that cooking for ourselves is getting really old really fast -- stay tuned for the detes). Anywho, back to the point I was attempting to make ... 


I found Top Shop (much to my dismay, the photo I took of the storefront whilst screaming "I am an American" is not uploading). One hour and one black blazer later, it was time to head to my Communications & Mass Media social event, which was held in a warehouse in the Meatpacking District. This location may or may not be an art gallery ... this suspicion has yet to be confirmed. After a little vino and a round of speed-dating, I made my way back home to prepare yet another gourmet meal (cream of wheat ... it's a Danish delicacy) before Liza, Dan, Julie and I attempted to go meet some of Dan's Danish soccer buddies at a bar. Unfortunately the age limit was 23 and up and we were unable to enter. I was the only one who didn't get carded, but I felt bad leaving the others behind just because they are less physically mature than I so we all left. We then forged on to the Happy Big, where a gorgeous Dane bought me a drink and then mysteriously disappeared (Later in the evening, Liza and I spotted him befriending another unsuspecting American girl, but in order to prevent a total emotional meltdown over a potential romance lost, I have continued to tell myself that his sudden disinterest was nothing personal, but rather due to the fact that he was merely embarrassed that I had never heard of the professional Danish soccer team that he supposedly plays on. Note to self: start liking sports. Danish men dig that). 





I began my day today at my Danish gym. While there, my blood sugar got low, but fortunately they have a juice bar where I was able to get a steal of a deal on a $7 cup of orange juice. After that, Liza, Amelia, Abby, Julie, and I took a day excursion to a beautiful little town where we explored nature and ate some interesting "meat"balls. I finally feel as though I am getting to know the city a little better and am feeling very comfortable here. So comfortable, in fact, that I was only mildly horrified when a strange man knocked on our window a few minutes ago, asking if we knew how he could get into the laundry room. I feel his pain, seeing as we have yet to be given our laundry cards and I cannot seem to shake the thought that it is quite possible that we never will (Mom you best brace yourself for the giant load of laundry that is in your not so distant future). 


I think I am going to go prepare dinner now or possibly continue to stare out my bedroom window in an effort to discern why there are large water droplets falling from the sky. I heard a rumor that it is rain, but after four months in the desert (San Antonio) this summer, I don't quite remember what this "rain" stuff looks like. I will keep you posted - I hope the world isn't ended a year earlier than planned. Anywho, more soon. 


Farvel! 


ord af dagen: "regn" ="rain"

No comments:

Post a Comment